Monday, January 26, 2009

Who Cares About Me

written in 1992 on behalf of my daughter Rebecca

WHO CARES ABOUT ME

I am but a little girl
Who's life has taken a different twirl
I am disabled, that's what I'm labeled
I am trying so hard to be able.
I am fed different than my friends each day,
for me it is the only way.
Mom worries for that day,
that nobody will want or care to pay.
WHO WILL FEED ME?

They say dollars have all but dried.
They say everything needs to be cut.
The programs that help me have to be shut.
WHO WILL PAY FOR ME?

The doctors and home healthcare help me out.
My therapies and medicines I cannot be without.
My braces and wheelchair help me about.
My glasses I cannot see without.
WHO WILL CARE FOR ME?

School budgets are already stressed.
My needs are trying to be met.
It costs a lot to educate me.
With so many students,
How will anything be left for me.
HOW WILL I LEARN?

I am a little girl who fights to be alive,
But without healthcare, I won't survive.
With all the wonderful care
I have thrived.
My family and I have always strived.
WHO CARES ABOUT ME?

Without help we won't be able to cope.
We cannot give up hope.
There is a choice.
Just listen to one little voice.
WHO WILL HELP ME?

I am just a little girl who wants to be,
as happy, healthy, the best little girl I can be.

copyright 2006 Ann Yurcek
An excerpt from Tiny Titan, Journey of Hope

1 comment:

  1. Good morning - What a wonderful exerpt from Tiny Titan. I'm pooling my girlfriends here in Minneapolis to see if any of us have a copy of it to pass around - we all have 'expanded' families of 10 + kids through the blessing of adoption. If you check out my blog and feel comfortable would you mind if I posted it there (with credit to you of course!)
    Blessings - Dorothy at Urbanservant

    ReplyDelete